Monday 23 April 2012

Happy Birthday Bill ...


Sorry couldn't resist ...
No one is quite sure when Shakespeare was born , he was baptised on April 26th, 1564 and died on this day in 1616 but being a man of his times and a great frequenter of inns and hostelries it is little wonder that food and drink featured so heavily in his writing. So to celebrate our national bard and give you some fitting quotations for your chalkboards here is my top 20 with some fairly random links ...
1. Twelfth Night: Act 2, Scene 3
Do you think because you are virtuous, that there shall be no more cakes and ale?
 2. Othello: Act 2, Scene 3
Good wine is a good familiar creature, if it be well used.
3. Henry V: Act 1, Scene 3
I would give all my fame for a pot of ale.
4. As You Like It: Act 3, Scene 2
Truly, thou art damned like an ill roastedegg, all on one saide.
5. The Merry Wives Of Windsor: Act 1, Scene 1
Why, sir, for my part I say the gentleman had drunk himself out of his five senses.
 6. Anthony & Cleopatra Act 2 Scene 3

Give me some music; music,moody food. Of us that trade in love.
7. Romeo and Juliet: Act 4, Scene 2
Tis an ill cook that cannot lick his ownfingers.
8. Twelfth Night: Act 1, Scene 3
I am a great eater of beef and I believe that does harm to my wit.
9. Henry IV Part 1: Act 2, Scene 1
He hath eaten me out of house and home; he hath put all my substance into that fat belly of his.
 10. Macbeth: Act 2, Scene 3
 Drink sir, is a great provoker of three things….nose painting, sleep and urine. Lechery, sir, it provokes, and unprovokes; it provokes the desire but takes away the performance.
 11. Henry IV Part I: Act 3, Scene 1
O, he is as tedious as a tired horse, a railing wife; worse than a smokey house: I had rather live with cheese and garlic in a windmil, far, than than feed on cates and have him talk to me in any summer-house in Christendom.
12. The Comedy Of Errors: Act 5, Scene 1
Unquiet meals make ill digestions.
13. Richard III: Act 3, Scene 4
My lord of Ely, when I was last in Holborn I saw good strawberries in your garden there; I do beseech you send for some of them.
14. A Midsummer Night’s Dream: Act 4, Scene 2
And, most dear actors, eat no onions or garlic, for we are to utter sweet breath; and I do not doubt but to hear them say, it is a sweet comedy. No more words: Away! Go, away!
15. Henry IV Part II: Act 5, Scene 1
A’ shall answer it. Some pigeons, Davy, a couple of short-legged hens, a joint of mutton, and any pretty littletiny kickshaws, tell William cook.
16. All’s Well That Ends Well: Act 5, Scene 3
Mine eyes smell onions; I shall weep anon.
17. Romeo and Juliet: Act 4, Scene 4
They call for dates and quinces in the pastry.
18. Henry IV Part II: Act 2, Scene 4
A man cannot make him laugh – but that’s no marvel; he drinks no wine.
19. As You Like It: Act 3, Scene 5
I pray you, do not fall in love with me, For I am falser than vows made in wine.
20. Othello: Act 2, Scene 3
O thou invisible spirit of wine! If thou hast no name to be known by, let us call thee devil!


No comments: